Plans from Masonite Corporation.

Plans to build Caravans and Caravanetts.
griffin

Plans from Masonite Corporation.

Post by griffin »

The thread on Masonite includes this advertisement for caravan plans that were available from the company for the grand sum of 2/- each, 20 cents in today's money. This copy was published in 'How to Build Caravans' 1948-49 edition, by John D. Porter.
Masonite plans 1948.jpg
My visit to the Mitchell Library in Sydney on Australia Day was to view a couple of 'offsite' items which need to be requested in advance so it seemed like a good opportunity. One of the items was the set of 4 caravan plans issued by Masonite Corporation.
They proved to be good quality plans, printed on the old cotton based plan paper for those that may be familiar with it.
They are about an A2 size which was difficult to copy, especially as they have been stored folded for years to quite a small size, and of course being folded for so long they didn't want to flatten very well. I decided a quick digital copy would suffice until I found they were too big, more that I wasn't tall enough,to get the whole image with the plan on the table. I couldn't stand on a chair to get extra height, nor could I put them on the floor. The the first one I took to a shorter table across the room but I was getting 'that look' so decided to go for 2 photos per plan. All a bit messy but I'm sure you get the idea.
Masonite sheet 2-c.JPG
Masonite 2a-c.JPG
Masonite 2b-c.JPG
Masonite 3a-c.JPG
Masonite 3b-c.JPG
The plan above was published as 'The Holiday Home' in Keith Winser's 1950 'Caravan and Touring in Australia'
Masonite 4a-c.JPG
Masonite 4b-c.JPG
All the plans are dated either Jan or Feb, 1946 so they may have been advertised previously.
None of them inspire me to want to rush out and build a replica.
I tried to add them to the Masonite technical thread but for some reason couldn't access it so this will do, and might be more appropriate anyway.

George
griffin

Re: Plans from Masonite Corporation.

Post by griffin »

Here's a colour advertisement from The Australian Women's Weekly in 1947 showing Masonite used for a van along similar lines to one of the plans.
1947 -Masonite.JPG
George