Building a Propert

Plans to build Caravans and Caravanetts.
boffingham

Building a Propert

Post by boffingham »

Hello from Ottawa Canada! I have been a trailer enthusiast for years and have owned many forms of tent and travel trailers. Lately I have been taken with the idea of building a small trailer for myself; I have been researching many forms of teardrop trailers here in Canada and have just discovered the Propert! What an amazing little trailer!

Has anyone built a unit for themselves? Do you have measurements or plans that you can share? Even detailed pictures would be a big help.

I would love to buy an exisiting unit but I have never seen one here in Canada. Any help would be much appreciated.

Barry
griffin

Re: Building a Propert

Post by griffin »

Hi Barry

Welcome to the Forum. I think Richard will be able to provide you with all the answers and information you need. I'm not aware of the plans ever being published as it was a patented design. I looked over a rough one I nearly bought a few years ago and I was amazed that it was really a simple design that would be easy enough to replicate these days.

Do you have an older van of some type you can post a few photos of?

I holidayed for a few weeks in Canada last year and thoroughly enjoyed it (could go again) and I was bowled over by your little Boler glass vans.

Welcome again, I'm sure you'll hear from Richard soon.

George
boffingham

Post by boffingham »

Hi George,

Yes the Boler was a very popular model here. Easy to pull and would never rot as it was fiberglass. It was a very hot trailer to sleep in during the summer months as the windows were very small. It can still be purchased through a different manufacturer and come in larger sizes but is very expensive. I have always been fascinated with hard wall trailers that can fold and think the Propert is simple and efficient in design. I do not currently own a trailer but hope to dive back in soon.

Cheers!

Barry
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi Barry
And welcome to the ourtouringpast.com forum.
You may be taking on a bit of a task, as the little Properts are an amazing little van but are complicated as well.
I only know of one that someone "home built" back in the 1950's and it didnt have the mechanism to lift it all in one movement.
Anyway Ill be of help where I can, just let me know where you would like to start.

Cheers.
Richard.
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.