1947 teardrop reno

Photos and Information on Members Caravans. This a great place to introduce yourself.
Ausmo

1947 teardrop reno

Post by Ausmo »

Hello all
This is my first post on the forum and I'd like to share my 1947 bondwood teardrop renovation
I bought the old girl in December last year on Gumtree and my goal was to retain as much original stock as possible so repair rather than replace was the rule if practical
The first job was to peel back 69 years of other folks colour choices ( including a flouro pink ) and find the inevitable odd rotten timber
Lead paint from its early heristage meant goggles gloves breather mask and hat was not a good look or comfortable in summer especially when the heat gun was in use but eventually I got there
I didn't want to hide her age but like any elegant lady of her years some tasteful make up and dress to suit is always best
I'm keen to hear what others think :?:
image 1.jpg
image 2.jpg
image 3.jpeg
reddo

Re: 1947 teardrop reno

Post by reddo »

Hi Ausmo..
and welcome to Our Touring Past forum... ;)

What a great little TD you have there.. :D
Always a mystery when you start peeling back decades of paint.
You sort of get a feel for what the timber is like underneath as you take the layers off.. soft spots .. screws and nails coming loose and working their way out and not doing the job they where intended to do..etc. :(

Then you have the decision to make .. can i just take out the rotten bit without disturbing too much around it??
Sometimes you have no choice other than to replace the entire section like NAC has done on their Propert. To simply "bog it up" and paint over it is asking for trouble down the track a bit.
Better to do a sound repair in the first place while things are stripped down.

Your TD has come up great... Do you have any photos of the restoration ??
I am sure we would all like to see what trials and tribulations you had to overcome to get it to its present condition 8-)

Regards
Reddo
griffin

Post by griffin »

Hi Ausmo

Looks like a good job well done, what was wrong with the pink??? :)

Photos of the job along the way would be interesting.

George
Ausmo

Post by Ausmo »

Thanks Guys
Here's some pics of the Reno timeline but sadly blood sweat and tears don't show up :roll: well in photos
Can only add 3 pics on the thread so the other 200 will have to wait
image 1.jpeg
image 2.jpeg
image 3.jpeg
DC3TD

Post by DC3TD »

Great looking Td. Like the current paint scheme too. gordo
Strugglebrook

Post by Strugglebrook »

Nice TD, you have done a great job Ausmo.