Propert rebuild 1959?

Photos and Information on Members Caravans. This a great place to introduce yourself.
NAC

Propert rebuild 1959?

Post by NAC »

Hi all.
I purchased a Propert late last year which required some work.
Year is unknown but the seller had been told it was 1959
Anyhow, the top has a lot of damage from sweating under a poly tarp outside the garage.

So as you can see I won't be using it for a week or two.
This week has been the first opportunity I have had to start on it.
I will be replacing all the outer skin (too many soft spots in all sheets) and have removed the RHS sheet to look at the frame work.

The frame along the top and around the front curve down to approx 30cm from the bottom board is quite solid so I am thinking of leaving it and glueing/screwing a 30cm piece at the bottom. Saves trying to bend the timber and getting the right shape.
The frame at the rear going up to the roof is completely soft and not salvageable so I will be making up a new piece to join into the top frame (clear as mud?)
The bottom board is rotten and a new board will be made.
I will finish the RHS before pulling apart the LHS so I have a template to work from and i will be treating all timber with a two part wood treatment so I won't have this problem to fix again.

I also pulled the bottom sheet off the rear as the bottom board along the back had rotted and I couldn't see where the joins were where it met the sides.

A lot more rot than I expected but nothing that can't be repaired (as I see it)
Biggest concern at the moment is due to so much rot in frame and ply some of the corners have "sunk" and I may not be getting accurate measurements for the replacement timbers.

Will be cutting some timber to start replacing the rear frame tomorrow so if I have a successful day more photos shall be put up tomorrow night.
Comments welcome. Would rather hear if it is being done wrong beforehand rather than when I'm finished.
Cheers, nac
reddo

Re: Propert rebuild 1959?

Post by reddo »

Hi NAC

Why do we punish ourselves like this.. :D
Headache after headache.... but still we soldier on. :lol:

I reckon you are on the right path... Just replace every panel that is "soft". You will end up with something much stronger than you would by just nibbling bits out of the old sheets and making patches.

I would imagine that either side is identical , so if one side is damaged /sagged you could take a measurement from the opposite side .... Thats all well and good providing that both sides aren't completely stuffed. :roll:

The little Properts arent a big van... but they have just as many curves and then you have to contend with the nifty folding mechanism....

Keep us posted on your progress.

Regards
Reddo
NAC

Post by NAC »

Hi Reddo
Yep, bit of punishment but I reckon we do it because we are thinking of how it will be when we are finished, towing it to our next adventure.
Took the front panel off today

bit of repairing to do on the rh front

top corner

bottom

Will probably look at repairing these two corners tomorrow so the top will sit right (sags at the moment)
griffin

Post by griffin »

Hi NAC

Certainly some work ahead of you there but no doubt worth it in the end.

Richard (Mr. OTP) will no doubt be able to offer plenty of advice on the carpentry side of things and info on Propert vans, he has a nice one to refer to, maybe even more than one, can't remember now.

The background of your photos indicates someone with the right mindset for the job, lots of stuff around, always a good sign.

And the project vehicle in the background is???

Cheers

George
DC3TD

Post by DC3TD »

Gday George. Yes, NAC certainly got some work ahead of him.Good mindset is on his side though. Looks like a Studie in background.
NAC

Post by NAC »

Hi DC3TD.
I think George was interested as he thought he sniffed out a Vauxhall.
Yes George, it is a Vauxhall. It is a 1960 PAY Velox.
Rust has all been removed except for one small portion in the rh sill and it is all in primer waiting for me to get back to it.
Cheers, nac
DC3TD

Post by DC3TD »

Gday NAC. You`d have thought i`d recognise a PA having just sold my `62! gordo
NAC

Post by NAC »

Wasn't much of a photo for you to go on Gordo and the studie did look similar in that shot.

Couldn't do any glueing today as my glue had gone solid. Guess it had been nearly 2 years since I used it.

Made the timber replacements for both front corners today

LHS

RHS

Used adjustable tent poles to hold the sides up to the desired height so I could make the timber replacements the right size

The timber I used is hardwood and I used wider pieces so I would have strength in the front corners for tilting and support. As these two pieces will be under the bed they won't be seen anyway.
Will be visiting the hardware during the week to pick up the ply sheets and some meranti for the rear repairs and lower side boards. Wanting to get the frame stable so I can remove the top to check on the trailer framework and possibly replace all the securing bolts as I suspect they will be near rusted through in the middle.
More updates next weekend
Cheers nac
griffin

Post by griffin »

Hi NAC

A Vauxhall, well fancy that, a very appropriate and able tow vehicle for a Propert.
That's all I wanted when I started my caravan journey, a nice little Propert. 'She who must' didn't like that idea for as many reasons as you could think of. So, here I am now with 3 old vans, ply, ali and fibre with a total length of 45.5 feet, and I'd still be happy with a little Propert!!

I dare say you will spread your time and money between the two projects and finish them together.

Good luck with both, look forward to seeing the result.

George
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi NAC
A PROPERT havent seen one of those under restoration in ages. Good to see another being saved.
As George mentioned if you need any help just drop me a line, and ive cut back recently and only have two Properts now but I also have parts from a couple of others so if you need anything let me know and Ill see what Ive got.
One thing to keep in mind NAC is that the outer shell is the one that "moves" the most and some of the tolerances between it and the middle shell are pretty close so just check as you go.
Anyway I am enjoying the photos.
Richard.
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.