Propert rebuild 1959?

Photos and Information on Members Caravans. This a great place to introduce yourself.
NAC

Re: Propert rebuild 1959?

Post by NAC »

Thanks Richard.
If you look at the fourth photo (from the start) you will see that the roof is slightly sagged in the centre where the window is.
I have removed the ply and the timber "beam" that goes across supporting the window is not damaged, just sagged by nearly half inch.
Not sure on how to straighten it without replacing it as any strengthening piece I put in will be seen inside due to single skin.
Any tips here would be appreciated.
And the timber along the sides at the base of the outer shell which some of the metal lifting frame screws into underneath, needs replacing. It feels light. Is pine okay as I don't want to make it heavy.
Not concerned about future rotting as all the timber including the ply is going to be coated with a 2 part timber treatment.
Cheers Neil
NAC

Post by NAC »

Have progressed some more over the last fortnight
Was unable to bend timber for the rear frame so made some up out of strips of 4mm ply. I cut the ply into strips the width I wanted and using Selleys Aquadhere polyurethane glue I glued the strips together and clamped them to the rear of the Propert so when it dried I had the bent timber for my frame. Being lamenated it will be very strong.

I have glued the frame in place on the rhs and made a new bottom cross frame at the rear

Checked the shape with the aluminium strip that I removed prior to pulling it apart and was happy with the shape

Bit hard to see I know.
Finished up today with cutting out the rhs ply (used 6mm marine ply) and clamped in place to check

All good so should have it glued in place tomorrow with the porthole window cut out as well
reddo

Post by reddo »

G'Day NAC

Can someone ring the fire brigade....??.. You guys are going like a house ( propert ) on fire. :D
Good job on the laminated bends.. not an easy thing to get right.

I have watched you tube videos and links to people showing you how to bend timber and would dearly love to learn how to do it properly myself.
I think success has a lot to do with the timber needing to be straight grained and just the right amount of moisture content.

Nevertheless you have done well by the looks of things .. its a nice feeling when you can see that you have fought your way through a diffcult task and get to the easier stuff like cutting the marine ply to shape and fitting a side on.

Then... depression sets in as you realise you have the other side to complete. :shock: :roll: :(

Keep it coming mate... everyone loves progress and pictures. 8-)

Regards
Reddo
NAC

Post by NAC »

Thanks Reddo
Been away for the week with work so not much progress during the week.
During the weekend, I attached the RHS ply with sikaflex 252 and some galvanised nails

Even just with this side done and secured the van is so much more rigid, so pretty happy with that.

I removed the LHS sheet and the frame was weaker than I thought.
I glued some shaped 6mm marine ply to the inside of the front lh frame at the weak points to strengthen it. As this area is under the bed when set up it didn't matter about the looks

I then glued and screwed the replacement piece of rear frame I made up a couple of weeks ago in place

Run out of weekend after that.
Will remove the clamps tomorrow night and hopefully mark and cut the lhs ply to size during the week
Until then, NAC
reddo

Post by reddo »

I take me hat off to you...
It just looks like a buncha spindley sticks held together with clamps.
If i attempted something like that ... then removed the clamps in a day or two , all you would here is.... SSSSPPPPRRRROOOOIIIIIIIIINNNGGGG.. and a whole heap of splinters flying everywhere.

Keep it come mate.

Reddo
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi NAC.
Starting to look like something now. Just noticed that the outer "shell" is lined on the underside with pegboard. Never seen that before, must have been how they over come the problem of condensation dropping on them in the mornings with the single skin.
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.