Reddos 1960 Supalite Atlas Resto

Photos and Information on Members Caravans. This a great place to introduce yourself.
Strugglebrook

Re: Reddos 1960 Supalite Atlas Resto

Post by Strugglebrook »

What he means Richard is - It hasn`t reached reserve. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
reddo

Post by reddo »

:D :D :D :D :D
Message to self.. :idea:
" Dear self... please ensure you block "strugglebrook" from bidding before commencng auction."

Reddo
Richard

Post by Richard »

Ah yes strugglebrook.
Wise man once said "everything for sale at right price".
:lol: :lol: :lol:
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
Strugglebrook

Post by Strugglebrook »

Me thinks very wise man, Mr Reddo himself. :D :D :D :D :D
reddo

Post by reddo »

The missus has been complaining about the crows on the back of the supalite .. ark... ark.. arking all day . She asked me to "Evict" them..
So..
Not being one to argue i went down the back and waved my arms around .. and.. in no time flat they had taken off..
DSCN6004.JPG
So...
while i was on the job i set about fixing a bit of wood grub that had gotten into the ply...
DSCN6005.JPG
Gave everything inside the wall cavity a good coat of primer as well as the back of the replacement sheet..
couple of beads of liquid nails for good measure and a whole heap of pin nails later..
DSCN6009.JPG
All patched up....
Not sure weather to paint it the same colour as before or .. give the woodgrain a couple of coats of clear estapol ..( if ya got it flaunt it )
While i am on the go i will rearrange the tail/ stop/ indicator lights so the cranky truck drivers on the Hume Hwy at night dont complain about the old van only having one centre tail light. .. was approached by a couple of truckies at servos while heading to this years tour.. kept telling me that the van was illegal with one tail light over the number plate and a red reflector on either corner at the back.. i explained that it was the original set up!!...and did they blow up at the hells angels on thier harleys with just one tail light at night ??
They still werent happy.. perhaps i should invest in 3 dozen pretty little yellow clearance lights and mount em all down the side of the van like the " Sesame Street " trucks have ??? :shock:
Reddo
reddo

Post by reddo »

Progress can be slow..
Took a few days of fiddling around.. do a bit on the van .. down tools.... go to work.. shopping .. trips to Bunnings , but finally got a full day in on the van..
Sanded the ply.. 2 coats of clear.. . The old sheet of Aluminium that was fitted from the timber sheet down under the rear of the van was showing a bit of age .. so i resheeted it as well.. " does my bum look good in aluminium" ???? after that i refitted the J mould on either side , then set about mitreing some meranti moulds for around the three windows..

Stole the 2 yellow clearance lights off the front of the van to give me the 6 lamps needed for the stop / tail/ indicators on the rear.
Had a couple of old faded yellow lenses so gave em a light spray with red paint to use as the brake lights...( am hunting 2 decent red ones now.. anyone got some.. see photos ??)
I had 2 small clear glass lamps about 40mm round off .. i think a Mini Minor / Landrover..but they have no bases and lamp holder..so they are fixed in place on the front now to fill the holes .. non functioning until i can find some bases and lamp holders for them

Resprayed the tin awning that is designed to deflect water out over the back window... and refitted it. Cut a few short sections of cresent mould to fill in the gaps either side of the awning..
All done..
DSCN6010.JPG
DSCN6011.JPG
End result.. a whole new bum... No crows ... and .. hopefully no more Galahs complaining about not enough lights on the rear at night !!
I have a few bits of the 30 X 8mm Meranti left. :idea: . might use em up on mitrering around the front windows..

Is Wood... is good..

Reddo
Strugglebrook

Post by Strugglebrook »

Top job Master, looks good. Go very close to getting a trophy in the Atlas class at the Supalite Nationals in Murrurundi.

:D :D :D :D :D

Junior.
griffin

Post by griffin »

Lovely work as usual Reddo.

I am surprised that you were concerned by complaints from a few whining truckies. I can only think they are getting old or blind. I have no trouble picking up a car with no lights with the candles the old Velox calls headlights, long before there is any danger of a collision. Maybe they are younger generation truckies and need to toughen up.

George