Reddos 1960 Supalite Atlas Resto

Photos and Information on Members Caravans. This a great place to introduce yourself.
jennison

Re: Reddos 1960 Supalite Atlas Resto

Post by jennison »

Yes rods about 30 cm long a bit thicker than a pencil with a sprung ball bearing on the side of one end, hinged on the window frame
reddo

Post by reddo »

:cry:
Sorry Jeff..
I cant help you with that one.

Regards
Reddo
reddo

Post by reddo »

Howdy...
Well..... after 5 months of wood butchering and paint slopping the shed of invention was ready to "Give Birth "to the supalite.
a long "gestation period "from this back in late february......
The usual pushing and waiting ... labour pains where experienced but finally amidst shafts of sunlight it was delivered onto the driveway...

I say " Ït "as it will not be given the traditional grandad or grandma name...I have decided on something different this time around... all will be revealed after the bro gets loose on the van with brush and paint. ;)

After the traditional Reddotel birthing celebration.. ( yawn and scratch my bum ) I
Spent the rest of the day fitting the new springs , shackles , bushes, axle , bearings and cable for brakes. Bunged the 14 inch wheels on and let it down off the jack stands.... :shock: It sits way too high for my liking... but at least its rolling again and i can fiddle with 13 inch rim and tyre combinations ( and possibly lowering blocks ) to get it to sit lower behind the towcar.

As usual the daylight shows up the rough repairs and paint job... but overall....ummm... :roll: ... i dont give a rats A... i am happy to clear a milestone today
Plenty still to be done...
Paint the roof.. fit the J moulds and sailtrack... finish of entry well....and

Just gotta figure out whats missing off the back..... :idea:
I know... i gotta get it registered... Number plate... thats it !!!

Also ... have been left with another delema... What am i going to do with the shed of inventions empty womb?? :roll: :shock:

I'm :lol:
Reddo
Strugglebrook

Post by Strugglebrook »

Looks great Mate, Bro`s magic will top it off nicely. :D :D :D :D :D :D
iluvans

Post by iluvans »

Lookin' the goods mate
Empty shed hey?
Did you chase up the 51 Chev yoot at Peats Ridge?
reddo

Post by reddo »

Hi Iluvans ...
Yup.... had a good look at that chev ute......
Just a bit overdone for what i am looking for.

Every week there is something that comes along and catches my eye.... but when i go through "ticking the boxes"there always seems to be a few "Not good" or "gunna cost money to change that " issues..

Those sort of things never use to bother me when buying an old Holden as i have most of the bits and the know how to rectify the "wrongs"... But when ya start messing with LHD American imports it can get bloody expensive sorting out poorly engineered cars..
Hence .. the money sits cooling itself in the porcelain pig. 8-)

Meanwhile...
I have finished off the j moulds on the van..
Missus wasn't around when i needed someone to hold the mould straight when starting off under the front of the van ..... so..
The engineers from The shed of invention came to the rescue with 2 milk crates.... :idea:
By the time i got the 3rd screw in it was plain sailing.. ;)

From there it was back to the scruffy entry well....

I wasnt sure on weather to just paint it and glue a bit of insertion rubber on the tread... or... to spend some time and pretty it up..
Ended up dragging out a scrap piece of old diamond patterned aluminium sheet that i salvaged from an old 10ft van i demolished years ago when i built my first replica Teardop "The Splinter Hilton".
While i was chasing light fittings i scored a few small 240 V lights at a lighting clearance sale for $1 each.. so bunged one in next to the step to light things up at night.... safety :!:
Finished job looks neat and tidy..

Spent 6 hours underneath the van yesterday wire wheeling and scraping off 56 years of dirt, crud and surface rust.....what a crap job that is... Will be back under there today painting it all.

Picked up the EH rims from the tyre service yesterday.. they fitted em up with 13/175/60 series Light Truck tyres. A good 2"'smaller diameter than the current 14" wheel / tyre combo that's on there now. :) ..should lower the van down to a héight that suits the panno better... and... not as far to fall out the door to the ground when i become " Unstable " during happy hour :D
Will pop the 14s off later today. finish scrubbing /cleaning and painting under the wheel arches and fit the 13s.
Have got a tidy pair of SL Torana hubcap/dress rims to bung on em.. should tidy that department up..
I'm off to slop paint.. :cry:
More later.
Reddo
reddo

Post by reddo »

I hate painting....
I particularly hate painting upside down under a caravan
I really hate painting with body deadener...
So...... needless to say yesterdays task wasnt an enjoyable experience...

I used semi gloss black on the chassis and underside of the floor and body deadener in the wheel arches.

Ended up looking reasonably tidy..

After cleaning up all the usual mess associated with painting , i fitted the wheels and torana caps..
Image.

I am heading to the big green barn to buy a 1200 x 1200mm sheet of 10mm ply this morning.
Gunna fiddle with wheel arch /spats design next.

Reddo
Strugglebrook

Post by Strugglebrook »

When something comes from the Shed of Invention,
It always gets my attention.
A bond wood for our viewing pleasure.
This latest is certainly a treasure.
It`s detail is more than a pass,
Which should inspire others to get of their , Bottom.
:D :D :D :D :D
griffin

Post by griffin »

Well done Reddo, it certainly looks the 'duck's guts' as they say, and all in such good time.

George
reddo

Post by reddo »

Hi George

All in such good time..... :roll:
Had i been in full time employment it would have taken 12 months or maybe longer to get it to where it is now.
Its at this stage now because i only get a couple ( if that ) days a week casual work... and its winter time... if it was summer time i would spend my days mowing lawns... weeding .. Oh yeah.. and the wife has just reminded me that she wants the other 2 rooms i havent painted yet finished as soon as things warm up a bit....Oh joy ... oh bliss..... oh ecstasy :(
So... I am enjoying shed time while i can !!.

Meanwhile... having difficulty coming up with an nice shape for the spats.... I am definitely not a fan of the Supalite factory "Red wing" on top of the wheel arch... i give that a 2 out of 10....Just doesnt look right.. more of an afterthought than an enhancement... :shock:

Couple of photos here of an original van sporting red wings
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=220&start=10

I might try and come up with something thats a bit of a "Nod" to Supalites idea of having wings on the wheel arches...but a bit more inkeeping with the vans roundy shape. :roll: :idea:

Reddo