1950s Metcalfe Van - Rescued

Photos and Information on Members Caravans. This a great place to introduce yourself.
iluvans

Re: 1950s Metcalfe Van - Rescued

Post by iluvans »

Sheeesh....that certainly could have ended in a lot more tears, thats for sure. Musta been your lucky unlucky day?

Yep ....agree with your assessment of the GF......heart says Cowboys....heads says Storm.
Cheers C.
reddo

Post by reddo »

Struggleperson.. are you suggesting the accident could have been avoided if i had looked in the mirror at the man about to plough into the back of the car... and reacted within a millisecond and drove out in front of the coffee truck and semi?
Naaa .. i think i am better off copping what i got!

Iluvans.... I cant believe my unlucky luck...it continued today....
Have spoken with Shannons and got claim number. Went to panelbeaters and he has taken photos and preparing quote for repairs..
So.. feeling as though that was rather painless ..i called back at the shopping centre...
Today is mine and Trishas 30th wedding anniversary.. i had already bought her a pearl ring as i was told thats what the wife gets for 30 years of torture... I had planned on getting a card and some flowers yesterday but the day got messed about with the smash..
So... in i pops to the flower shop.. trots along to the newsagent and gets a card...
Return to the car to find someone else thought they would give me a present.. right side door copped a "Kiss" while i was in the shop... offender left the scene... :(
DSCN5378.JPG
ARENT I THE LUCKY ONE :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .. oh why a i laughing ???

Please dont tell me that old story about things happening in 3s is true... oh .. wait a minute... if we count the Kangaroo incident into the equation i am done for the year.

Reddo.. now with car that looks like its been in a demolition derby.. :D
Strugglebrook

Post by Strugglebrook »

Not funny, beautiful Panno knocked about !! You would think the bottom hole would of left their details!!
Was only making joke earlier, not funny any more.

Not happy Jan!! :x :x :x :x
iluvans

Post by iluvans »

OMG!!!! Sure it was a skippy you hit earlier and not a Chinaman ??????????????? :( :shock:
jubbard

Post by jubbard »

hi reddo

sorry to hear about the panno getting hit - i feel pretty bad about the ding in the door and centre panel.

i mentioned to jude this morning about the hit up the back and said to her that if things happen in 3's, the next one will be in the middle, since you've had one in the front and back.

i'd better give you a beer or two as penance when you get to shellharbour.

geoff 'n jude
reddo

Post by reddo »

All good thanks guys..
Now ya know why i am blessed with a sense of humour.
If i took all this sh!t serious my blood pressure would be through the roof and be simulating that Volcano in Bali that is acting up about now. :D :D :D :D

" Crying wont help me. prayin will do ya no good." ...... i think thats a phrase from a Led Zeppliin song.. :roll:

Meanwhile .. the next few days will be spent either under the bed or locked in the shed .. Keys to the panno in Trishas handbag...
Have spoken with the mate and he will measure up the panno for another mega strong towbar. I will have that by later this week so at least i can tow one of the vans to Shellharbour on the 19th..
Panno is booked in for surgery and facial work at the pannobeaters on 23rd October. day after i get home from S.Harb 8-) 8-)

Back to the Metcalfe van.. Had a reshuffle down in the carport today.. evicted the 3 bike trailer and found room for the 9ft 6inch "Lemonwood"..next to the Supalite "Ward 13"..They make a nice couple :)
Havent looked underneath the back of lemonwood yet. :?: . not sure if i can start a breeding program with the 2 vans....

If they both turn out to be females?..... ( No .. i aint heading down the voting path with this discussion) .. i will have to bring home the "stud" van that is still sitting up on the same farm as Lemonwood came from.....only problem will be the difference in birthdates and the coat the other one wears :?: :?: :?: :?: :roll: ;) .. its a 16 footer too.. :o :shock:

Until then... keep smilin folks
Richard

Post by Richard »

Ah Reddo not the panno again, what can I say. "Bugger".
Great find in the Metcalfe van, like I always say "you need to get out and use the old vans to be noticed" I will hopefully practice what I preach one day. :lol: :lol: :lol:
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
reddo

Post by reddo »

Hi Richard

Nothing that a panelbeater cant fix.... but still an unwanted event(s)

The caravan..
Have you heard of "A.Metcalfe" vans before???
Havent spotted it listed anywhere ??

Reddo
reddo

Post by reddo »

So....
There i was in the after hours office of L'iar and DeShonke .. ( Holmesville Hotel)..
A mate comments
" What was the old van i seen on the trailer behind the EH on Sunday??"
That my good man is a .. "Metcalf van.. made in the 50's by A.Metcalf in Wallsend"..

A short silence and he replies...
Yep.. i think i know exactly whereabouts in Wallsend.

He remembers a family concern making the vans for many years in the street just up from where he use to live.
He wasnt sure of the exact house number but said it was the first house on the left in Raglan st.. and it had a huge shed in the backyard up until the 1980s when a fire reduced most of the shed to ruins.
He said he can remember the newspaper article at the time stating that a family business had been devastated by the fire .

So.. i came home.. doned my deerstalker cap.. lit my chest warmer pipe and took up my magnifiying glass .. then searched "Map maker " for wallsend.. zeroed in on the street and approx location he had described.. and Yup.. there it was... No: 4 Raglan st Wallsend.. with a huge shed in the back yard taking up the entire width of the backyard..
I tried the white pages for " . Metcalf " at 4 raglan st wallsend and drew a blank..
There is a few other Metcalfs local to that area..
So.. i will be sending Watson out to knock on the door at No:4 and make further enquires....
Stay tuned.

Reddhound
Strugglebrook

Post by Strugglebrook »

I feel the love for the Metcalf growing :D :D :D :D :D :D