Cowra museum clearing sale

jennison

Cowra museum clearing sale

Post by jennison »

Cowra museum located the other side of town to the nats van park is closing down with a clearing sale of its massive collection of Australiana, farmemorabilia, cars and petroliana on both days of the weekend of the 20/21st of May. I am heading down with a mate in the pathfinder to check it out and maybe pick up a bargain or gem .
Anyone interested in making a weekend of of it on short notice contact me quick and I'll ring the park and word them up on a small block booking
You find the sale on you tube with a huge number of pics of just a small part of the items all on sale
Could be a good impromptu weekend to pick up something good. Definitely staying sat and if there are numbers will stay Friday
Contact me
Jenno
reddo

Re: Cowra museum clearing sale

Post by reddo »

Hi Jenno..
Thats terrible news.
It is /was one of the better museums i have visited. Tons of railway stuff and a very good collection of military gear.. I wander what the Centurion tank will fetch ??
I took a few photos in there when we where at the Cowra nats 2012.. There is about 12 cars in there too....nothing too exotic.. Holdens , Vauxhalls etc ( Sorry George.. but sometime we just have to face up to facts :lol: )

If i didnt have our annual bike rally on at Nundle that weekend i would have been there with bells on and brass in pocket.
I reckon there will be a large crowd of punters there too.

Is there an avenue for online bidding or at least get a look at the catelogue ( Nortons) ??
Cheers
Reddo
Strugglebrook

Post by Strugglebrook »

Just ring them up Mr Reddo and make them an offer on a job lot. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
jennison

Post by jennison »

Yes Reddo
Very sad indeed.
The you tube thingo has contact numbers and such stuff, probably best check with them. Check it out anyway if there is anything you really want I can always bid for it for you as we'll be there both days of the auction
Regards
Jenno
jennison

Post by jennison »

Well what can I say. Gazmk1 and his wife FRAN came along. They arrived Friday but we didn't get there till sat morning. The sale was huge, the prices RIDICULOUS!!!!! They cracked a $100,000 before they left the front car park and went inside. Once inside, The wire fence about 50 m long was covered in signs. They were going for huge $$$$.
We estimated there was for the most part about 20 signs per 3 metre length of fence, a very conservative average of $500 per sign......do the sums and it amounted to around $10,000 for every 3metres of fence.....BOTH SIDES!!! There was another fence outside today about 80m long covered in signs which went as well
You have never seen so many signs and there would be near as many again still left.
Yesterday a shell neon sign went for just under $10,000 and This morning two 3m X 2m ATLANTIC oil enamel signs went for $10,000 and $9,000, visible pumps for between $3,000 to $6,500. A metters/malleys antique washing tub went for $300, my mate bought one at the last clearing sale we went to a month ago in Narrandera for $30! Oil bottle racks..around $500. Coke signs that sell on eBay for about $180 went for around $300.
All up about 1,600 items went under the hammer over the two days. The dealers couldn't get a look in with the collectors all buying at way over normal retail prices.
The one bit of excitement after having walked past it about 20 times yesterday was finding today that one of the caravans for sale was a pathfinder!! It was an early 70s' badge engineered Franklin model. I was parked right behind it outside on the road.
Anyway it was amazing to see all the stuff this fellow has and my mate Pete and I had a good time with Gary n FRAN. As usual the bacon and cheese Snitzel at the bowling club was to die for!!
Jenno

Read more: http://vintagecaravans.proboards.com/th ... z49Ns8J5I0
reddo

Post by reddo »

Hi Jeff
Thanks for the update on the auction.....
The days of picking up a bargain at a clearance auction came and went about 20 years ago....
Makes you wander just how much cash / loose change is floating around in the OZ economy for people to be able to afford their favourite trinkettes. :?:
( Hey... us vintage vanners are as guilty of this as any other strain of collector)

Some of the cashed up collectors will turn in thier graves later on when their unknowing relatives sell off their Mega dollars stash at a deceased estate garage sale for a couple of hundred quid :shock:

Regards
Reddo
jennison

Post by jennison »

Worse still some of the mugs at the auction probably now want to curl up and die having discovered they've just paid $$$ridiculous for a repo. There were a number of $25 repo signs that went for "original" dollars. Two come to mind....an Indian sales and service sign went for 500 or 600 dollars and and a "1930s" Plymouth sign for $1800!!!!! Didn't meet anyone who did not firmly believe they were both repos and there were many other examples sold similarly too! You know the ones they sell at swaps and the like with the imitation rust/patina around the edges. They went for hundreds!!
Jenno
reddo

Post by reddo »

Hi Jeff

" You know the ones they sell at swaps and the like with the imitation rust/patina around the edges. They went for hundreds!!
Jenno

So... who are the mugs then..??.. we are obviously in the wrong game..Just need a sheet of tin.. a few tins of paint and some acid to throw at the sign when we finish painting it !!!

Replica signs sell for around 20 to $30 at swap meets.. i bought one for the shed wall... BSA motorcycles..... even that was done with a stencil and a spray can.

Gunna have to have a seriuos talk with the bro signwriter and get him to take me on as an apprentice....knock out a few signs and take em to swapmeets etc as "Genuine new replica antique signs "... :lol:

Reddo
jennison

Post by jennison »

Indeed sign me up!! yeah mate they just were in a frenzy but for that dough$$$$$$ you think they'd look a bit closer before bidding :lol:
jenno