Re: The "www.ourtouringpast.com"- Anniversary Rally 2016

Post by NAC »

It was a great spot. Shame work got in the way of staying there
Have some photos of vans in the other park if you would like them posted also
reddo

Post by reddo »

Hi NAC

Was great catching up with you guys at SWR... even though it was only for short time.Do you want my email address so that you can notify me when i win the HQ Holden raffle prize ..... :D :D :D :D :D
By all means... please post the pix you have of the other vans... 8-)

Cheers
Reddo
Richard

Post by Richard »

Well it is good to see that a few others have posted photos from the "Rebels" at the Horseshoe Bay caravan park. We had a fantastic time and I was very pleased to see even though there was a major event on in South West Rocks with vintage caravans there were still around 20 vintage caravans attending the ourtouringpast.com event. :D :D :D
Reddo had organised a fantastic caravan park and more importantly he organised terrific weather. :D :D
I have most photos but forgot to take any of the final dinner on Thursday night so if someone has some that would be great.

Sorry we missed you Neil although I did wonder who owned the old Falcon in the caravan park.

Anyway here is a collection of my photos along the theme of everyone else. :roll:
photo 1.JPG
The view from our back window.
photo 2.JPG
b1 (Copy).JPG
photo 3.JPG
photo 4.JPG
photo 5.JPG
photo 6.JPG
photo 7.JPG
photo 8.JPG
photo 9.JPG
I was told that Reddos sea sick cure for the fishing trip was to eat apples, funny enough the other guys on the trip reported how Reddo was leaving a trail of apple burly. :lol: :lol: :lol:
b2 (Copy).JPG
photo 10.JPG
photo 11.JPG
photo 12.JPG
photo 13.JPG
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
mrfj55

Post by mrfj55 »

HI EVERYONE :D

WHAT A GREAT TIME WAS HAD AT S.W.R . GREAT LOCATION/PEOPLE/WEATHER/BEACH.
ENJOYED THE CROSS COUNTRY TOUR THE BEST.
I AM FINALLY REALIZING THAT IT REALLY IS ABOUT THE JOURNEY NOT JUST THE DESTINATION !

THANKS TO RICHARD FOR PULLING US ALL TOGETHER VIA THIS WEBSITE.

ALSO THANKS TO REDDO FOR ORGANIZING THE MINI TOUR TO S.W.R AND A MINI MINI TOUR OF THE "SHED OF INVENTION" AND MORNING TEA GENEROUSLY PUT ON BY HIM AND TRISH, THANKS TRISH. :) (STILL RECKON YOU SHOULD GET ANOTHER BILL THE CATTLE DOG !)

SEE YOU ALL SOON,
8-) MAURIE 8-)
reddo

Post by reddo »

Ho Ho Ho...
Veeerrryyyy funny.. So Reddo gets sick over the side of the boat..
Other side fishos describe it as "Coleslaw"... "...ooooo look we are drifting through and apple orchard :lol:
Very witty Brendo..

There was just one problem...
No one caught anything near as good as this...

Arrrr arrrr arrrr me heartys

Reddoldseadog
Strugglebrook

Post by Strugglebrook »

I would have that fish tested for human consumption as I believe it may have been poisoned from a massive outfall from the vessel at the time of retrieval. Catch may have been rendered immobile.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Junior Bater.
reddo

Post by reddo »

Hello Power Station Turbine Generator technician/installer that couldnt get 1960s Honda to go.. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:... yep those carbs with 2 moving parts can be a real mind bender can't they :P

Thanks for your theory on how the fish came to be on my hook. :roll: :?:

T'was a pity you suffered from a lack of intestinal fortitude and couldnt /wouldnt come on the fishing trip with us.. :D
You could have supplied earlier burley slick than me , and would have seen first hand the skill and professionalism i showed in both burlying up and catching the fish. 8-) :lol:

As always
Reddo
Strugglebrook

Post by Strugglebrook »

I felt you would show enough intestinal fortitude for both of us which I am assured you did.
Poor Honda was let down by poor after market fuel bowl gaskets, the leaks would have been acceptable on an old pommy bike. :lol: :lol: :lol: :D
griffin

Post by griffin »

We turned out to be late entrants, staying at the SWR Tourist Park rather than tempting fate after our last stay at Horseshoe Bay when the wind blew all but the van away. In fact we were only ever going to pay a flying visit on the Sunday as visitors as we were travelling to Maclean to stay with friends for a few days and not taking a van.

Somehow :?: :) I managed to acquire a new van a few weeks before the event so I thought it may as well go for the ride and a shake down to see how things went, so we stayed three nights then left the van and continued north. It only cost $8 a day to leave it in the park.
Astro 1.jpg
The trip up seemed interminable, some of those hills didn’t seem like they would ever end and the old Velox didn’t seem to have much puff, negotiating most in top but with the pedal flat to the floor, a spot it’s not familiar with! The new van, a Carapark 15/5 Astronaut (more about that another time) is about the same weight as the Olympic, including the Hutchinson Dolly Wheels so the added strain had me baffled.

Our arrival was around 5pm and by the time we got set up we headed to the pub for some tucker about 6.30. There had been an old van on a trailer when we arrived but it was gone when we left and after some nice fish and chips and a cider we took a quick spin around the block. The old van was parked behind the pub so a couple of quick pics then off to bed, completely worn out.
fs1.jpg
The little van was for sale but I never saw it again during the next two days before we left. I’ve no idea what it was, looks like it may have had a metal cladding, I was too knackered at the time to take notice.
fs2.jpg
fs3.jpg
Back on the road north with no van the Velox was its old self, purring along at whatever speed limit was applicable so the lack of giddyups with the van had me thinking. When we collected the van the last part of the trip home was a chore as it seemed to have a blockage in the carby. That was cleaned and sorted and while on a roll I decided to fiddle the throttle linkages, adjusting them in accordance with the manual. I noticed that there was a considerable change in the position of the linkage and I began to wonder if I had done it right. While at the mates I checked it and decided I’d mucked it up and reset it. After picking up the van the trip home was much better. It seemed I’d robbed myself of some throttle, and while I used plenty of it getting home it wasn’t sitting on the floor mat as it had been. Just another reason to stick to my ‘if it ain’t broke, don’t touch it’ regime :oops:

George
reddo

Post by reddo »

Howdy doodey All

I walked past the TD down the yard this morning and was suprised to see how much crud was on the aluminium strips as well as light surface rust on the wire wheels.

I only have myself to blame for not giving it a good wash and wax when i got home to remove the salt deposited over the week at SWR.

Got straight into the washing with a good spoon full of kero in the bucket of water. Then used light steel wool on all the chrome bits.
hosed it all down then gave it a light spray with WD40.

Even the staino self tappers holding the crescent mould on the van had started to oxides.. mainly due to electrolysis, but accelerated i would imagine by the presence of salt in the air ??

Hopefully the next time i walk down the yard i wont get a surprise like i did this morning.
Just thought i would mention the corrosion here .. there is bound to be others who arrived home from SWR, cleaned the inside of the van out and then simply stashed the old darling away ready for the next big adventure.

Its worth having a walk around your van..!!
Regards
Reddo