Police targetting overwieght car/caravan combinations

General discussion about the topic of historic caravans.
reddo

Police targetting overwieght car/caravan combinations

Post by reddo »

Hi All
I recieved this article from a fellow vint vanner.
I have posted it here as it may well affect some of the members who have large vans and towcar combinations.
I fully agree with what the author is saying .. and the police action being taken. I sometimes look in amazement at the size of the vans being towed by what appears to be vehicles that arent entirely up to the job ...exceeding thier tow weight rating....
The other issue is .. in many instances the driver of the towcar has never towed so much as a box trailer up until they retire.. then step straight into a car /van combination that weighs well over 4 or 5 tonne on the road. Learn to control the whole show ( hopefully ) before they experience an emergency situation.
'This scenario doesnt just apply to the older people.. it applies to anyone stepping out and buying a large van and towcar . Imagine the change going from a daily buzz about like Hyundia Getz to a 28ft van and 200 series landcruiser ????
Yeah i know there are courses that people can attend to learn how to handle thier newly purchased rigs.. prestart checks, reversing techniques.... etc, etc.. all nice to know.... but the NEED to know stuff and practical experience just cant be gained at a training session..

"know how"... and experience are 2 entirely different things.

http://www.candm.com.au/police-blitz-ta ... ravanners/

Im not pensioner /Grey nomad bashing here...
On the contrary... i am concerned for their welbeing as much as i am for the others that share the road with them

Regards
Reddo

Re: Police targetting overwieght car/caravan combinations

Post by 666 »

Hi Reddo, I agree totally. There are some scary combinations on the road driven by people with little or no experience. I do believe some form of licence upgrade should be required.