Tail Light Help

General discussion about the topic of historic caravans.
Stephen4Julie

Tail Light Help

Post by Stephen4Julie »

Hi All,
Need suggestions on the correct tail light set up for this home made,looks like it didn't have any lights, could someone give me an idea on the correct period tail light set up(circa 1940) and where i might chase them up
Cheers in advance Stephen
Richard

Re: Tail Light Help

Post by Richard »

Hi S4J
I recently found a website selling vintage truck lights, they had hundreds of styles and many were suitable for use on vintage caravans. When I track it down Ill let you know. Oh it was also an aussie site.
Cheers.
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
reddo

Re: Tail Light Help

Post by reddo »

Hi S&J
Back in the day they probably just used a light bar.. or ..
simply had red reflectors on the back of the van .. so that when a vehicle came up behind the van at night the driver could see the old darling wobbling up the road....... just before he plowed into the back of it.

or...
Maybe they done as Joe Lucas "the patron saint of darkness" suggested.. get home ( or off the road) before dark :lol:

Back to the lights.
No matter what you choose to put on the van there will always be someone who will say thet your choice isnt period correct.

Just put 2 little round red and 2 yellow Narva lights on the light bar or on the van .its enough to comply with todays regs and leave it at that. ... sometimes less is more. ;)

Regards
Reddo