Welcome.

General discussion about the topic of historic caravans.
Richard

Welcome.

Post by Richard »

Welcome to the ourtouringpast.com forum.
This is the place for general discussion on the subject of vintage caravans.
I have been "playing" with vintage caravans for the past 15 years but I have been involved with caravans my whole life. I have such good memories of my childhood as Dad and Mum would pack up us 4 kids and head off on our 2 week holiday twice a year.We just about covered the whole of the Eastern States down to Victoria and across to South Australia, although Western Australia and the Northern Territory was just a bit too far away for a 2 week vacation.
1968. Dad and Mum with a hired Millard caravan with my Grandfather on holidays.Iam in my mums arms and my sister and brother are in front.My eldest sister is taking the photo.
1968. Dad and Mum with a hired Millard caravan with my Grandfather on holidays.Iam in my mums arms and my sister and brother are in front.My eldest sister is taking the photo.
Dad and Mums first caravan, a Millard 18 ft and he used the HR tow car for about 3 years.
Dad and Mums first caravan, a Millard 18 ft and he used the HR tow car for about 3 years.

With my background as a carpenter and Master Builder I have a fairly good knowledge of the old plywood caravans including how they were built and the best way to carry out repairs, tho I must admitt that I am not as up to date with fibreglass vans.
So Iam more than happy to help others in their efforts in restoring ourtouringpast, Iam only an email away at thetrodler@yahoo.com.au.

Thanks for spending time at ourtouringpast.com

Richard.
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
BONDY

Re: Welcome.

Post by BONDY »

Good to see you have the forum up and running Richard, i'm sure in time it'll catch on and member no.s will increase as this interest of giving old vans a second chance is becoming ever so popular.
Looking forward to watching it grow
Steve
MarkT

Post by MarkT »

Congratulations Richard on creating an excellent website, and now a discussion forum.

The interest in vintage caravans has grown rapidly over the past few years, a second website and forum on the subject was eminent.

I'm pleased that the task of setting up a subsequent website has been undertaken by one as enthusiastic on the subject as yourself, and done in a very professional, well planned and thought out manner. I for one, have already found your website very informative.

I'm looking forward to giving my input on occasions, I know a little about vintage caravans !!

Mark
Richard

Post by Richard »

Thanks Guys.
It has been fun over the last few months setting up the web site, even tho linda has set some tight schedules for me. I was a bit worried at first as to whether it would be accepted but I have had alot of help and words of encouragement from nearly everyone, the only thing is that it has kept me out of the shed and work on the panelvan has been very slow. :(

Cheers.
Richard
reddo

Post by reddo »

Hello Richard.

My first post on your forum.
Although my family where "tent people" when i was growing up . I have broke from family tradition and have taken on Vintage caravans as a hobby.
I also find them a better form of accomodation when on holidays than camping in a breezy tent..
Thank you for providing such a great facility as your website . It is an excellent avenue for researching information on restoration etc .
It is also great that you have an open forum section where like minded people can discuss our old van and cars.

With your permission ..
I will post some pictures here of the old caravans i have owned over the past 5 years
Regards
Reddo
Bates

Post by Bates »

Hi
Looking forward to this forum taking off, which I think it will...

We sold our Hawthorn van yesterday and its on its way to Sydney as we speak, just arrived home with its replacement a nice unrestored teardrop.

Will put up some pics soon

Cheers Dale & Kylie
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi Dale,Kylie and Reddo.
Welcome to the ourtouringpast.com forum.
Dale. I did see that the Hawthorn had been sold and it didnt take you long to find a replacement.
Ill look forward to seeing some photos of your and Reddos caravans.

Cheers.
Richard.
MarkT

Post by MarkT »

G'day Dale,
I had your Hawthorn on my Ebay watchlist, not a bad buy that, for the new owner !!

Also looking forward to pics of your newly acquired teardrop, and hoping its an original Sportsman 8-) ,

cheers

Mark
polkadot

Post by polkadot »

Congrats on your new website Richard :)
Glad to be here & am enjoying the forum very much.
Well Done! 8-)

Lulu
Bates

Post by Bates »

Hi
Thanks for the welcome, hopefully I will get some time to get some pictures up shortly. Im waiting on a picture to be emailed at the moment of a friends Don that got caught in the bushfires :( will put a before photo of that up as well.
Dale